Each type of operating software has different set-up procedures, including Windows 7. The type protocol you chose to use from your VPN will make a difference in setting up PPTP, L2TP and SSTP VPN on Windows 7. Since many of the procedures are similar, so follow the listed steps in order to accomplish a VPN connection.
When setting up a VPN on Windows 7, never leave the setting on “Automatic.” You will need to choose PPTP, L2TP or SSTP when setting up or you VPN will connection will not work.
Setting Up PPTP on Windows 7
- Select Start on Windows 7
- Select Control Panel
- Select Network and Internet
- Select Network and Sharing
- Select Set up new connection or Network
- Select Connect to workplace
- Click Next
- If asked to choose a Network Connection, Select No create a new connection
- Select Use my Internet connection VPN
You will need information from your VPN provider to complete the set up for PPTP on Windows 7. This means you must have a membership account with a VPN before proceeding any further.
- Next text box labelled Internet Address, type in IP address provided by your VPN service
- Text box labelled Destination name, put in the name of the VPN service you are using
This name shows up in the Connect to Network when your set up is completed
- Check the box beside Don’t connect now, just set it up so I can connect later
- Check the box beside Allow other users to connection through this connection, or words to this effect
- Enter the password sent by your VPN provider and the user name for your VPN account you enter when going on the VPN’s website
- Click save password so each time you use this connection to go on the Internet, the computer remembers the information you entered
- Choose Close and go back to the Network and Internet page
You are ready to start using the VPN connection, but you still need to do a few things once connected.
- Select Active Connection in task bar
- Select connection
- Select connect
- On Login screen, Select Properties
- Select Options tab
- Remove check in box beside Include Windows Logon Domain
- Select Security tab
- Choose PPTP in the drop-down menu
- Select Network tab
- Remove check in the box beside Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
In order to connect through you new PPTP VPN service, all you have to do is select connection on the task bar, then select VPN.
Set Up L2TP VPN on Windows 7
Follow all the previous steps until you reach the Login Screen step. Once at this step you have to follow these additional steps.
- Open VPN Properties
- Select Security tab
- In Type of VPN, enter L2TP
- Select Advanced Settings
- Enter the Pre-shared key received from your VPN service
You can now start connecting to the Internet through your L2TP VPN provider.
Set Up SSTP VPN on Windows 7
Again, all you have to do is follow the previous steps until you get to Login Screen step. Now you must use these steps.
- Select Properties
- Select Type of VPN
- Enter SSTP
- Select General tab
- Enter the SSTP doman received from your VPN service provider
Now you can select this connection type from the task bar and click on VPN.
|Rank||Provider Name||Starting Price||Money Back Guarantee
||Visit Provider Site
|4||StrongVPN||$21/ 3 months||7 Days|